Search This Blog

Friday 14 December 2012

CRITICAL REFLECTION.

“Our critics are our greatest lovers because they show us our faults” [NIETZSCHE]

WINOL has become one of the most credible sources of independent Journalism by University students in Winchester. Over the past three months it has slowly overtaken Goldsmith University’s ‘eastlondonlines’ publication with WINOL’s global rank being #468,755 and #9,904 in the UK compared with Goldsmith’s #608,768 and #27,074. Again, with local news site thisiswinchester.co.uk (Hampshire Chronicle) we see a dramatic difference; #887,317 in global rank and #40,478 in the UK. [Alexa.com, 13.12.12]
The WINOL website has witnessed a dramatic redesign this semester with a vast improvement seen in News and Features. Content is now being updated daily compared to weekly with our live, independent Twitter account displayed on the front page, generating 1,025 followers [13.12.12] compared to approximately 650 at the start of the semester. Tabs at the top make for easier navigation around the site, including links to our latest bulletin so that the public can get a taste of WINOL as whole. We also broadcasted our first daily news bulletin “99 NEWS”. This was a highly ambitious project as it ran alongside our weekly bulletin.

My job role for this semester was Crime Reporter. Having a vast interest in the subject, I spent the second week at Winchester Crown Court with a fellow Court/Crime Reporter. With newly printed press passes, we were able to sit in the Press Box alongside a young lady from the Basingstoke Gazette. Though I had practised some of my Shorthand over the summer, the standard speed required for Court Reporting was tough and I ended up missing vital information about the case. I’m still working on this though. Also, I didn’t feel I had enough legal knowledge to carry this off. I plan to work through an updated version of McNae’s “Essential Law for Journalists” over Christmas.
Week 3 and this was my first week on WINOL. My first story was sourced by word of mouth. There were a few incidents involving burglaries in the local area, one even on student campus so it was immediately ‘newsworthy’ as it was in the public interest. I had an established angle – the generic “Safety @ University” with a little added reconstruction as I had available the eye witness as well as campus security. I also contacted the pastor of a local church which had been broken into for comment, but got no reply. It had the potential to be a good story, it was however, very legally unsafe as someone had been caught in connection. I would have had to follow the story through for it to be viable. This knocked my confidence a little.
The second week of WINOL was no better.  I struggled to find a localised story suitable for the bulletin.  I came to the News Meeting with three possible stories that weren’t particularly ‘newsworthy’. I was helped by a fellow course mate who suggested I do a piece on Motorcycle Theft. Again, this would have made an excellent VT with natural sound. I contacted Moto Rapido, a local motorbike sales company, requesting an interview. The interviewee wasn’t comfortable with being on camera, so I settled for a written statement. When it came to filming, the bikes they sold weren’t the same type as referenced in the press release. Although I had no material for a VT, I turned it into a written story for the site. “MOTORCYCLISTS URGED TO UP SECURITY”.
Though more of a writer than a broadcaster, I tried my hand at some VT’s.
#1
“HAMPSHIRE SEES DROP IN CRIME”
This story was sourced from the Daily Echo [19.10.12] which revealed the Crime Statistics of Hampshire and The Isle of Wight during 2011/12, provided by the Office of National Statistics (which is in the public domain). This was the first time I could visualise a graphics heavy VT, all I lacked was an interview. I contacted the Hampshire Police Press Office who knew too little about it to comment. I attempted to create my own graphics on Final Cut Pro X, which was extremely stressful considering I have no previous experience with the program, but I am satisfied with the result. I started my VT with a PTC outside the Police Station. All filming went well, but upon completion I knew it wouldn’t be safe to air. There was no balance and the whole thing just looked unprofessional.
Half way through the semester and it was hectic. I had a seminar paper due on Thursday as well as being involved in the Police and Crime Commissioner Debate [1.11.12] as an audience runner. I’d never been involved in anything like this before, an event organised by a fellow student, I had to actually interact with people! There was nothing more terrifying. Everything ended up going smoothly and it was an enriching experience being part of the team. The piece was featured on the Daily Echo website along with a picture.
During this time I was attempting to organise a graphics heavy piece for the American Election Special [7.11.12]. I was part of the News Team and had to create a 3 minute info graphic along with a 3 minute package. I used my photography skills for the info graphic, planning on creating a visually interesting animation. With only a week left, I was told this was too time consuming, so instead just researched all the relevant information. I was dropped from the News Team and put on to production where I learnt the basics of using the camera equipment in the studio. The live broadcast was featured on the front of the distinguished website journalism.co.uk. It was nice to be right in the heart of the action.
#2
“HAMPSHIRE POLICE SEE RISE IN COMPLAINTS”
As I was no longer part of the American Election News Team, I had time to focus on my story for WINOL. Once again, sourced from the Daily Echo [3.11.12], there was an article about the rise in complaints against Hampshire Police. Another graphics heavy piece, I had learnt from my previous mistake and contacted a fellow course mate for help. The graphics worked well, but weren’t very clear on the package. I called the Hampshire Police Press Office who emailed me a written statement which I incorporated along with a voiceover. I also contacted someone from the PCC Debate who had a conflict of interest. I requested an interview, but unfortunately he wasn’t available. I believe this was a more successful attempt, however without the interview it still wasn’t polished enough for the bulletin.
#3
“CAMPAIGN TO IMPROVE ROAD SAFETY AMONGST TEENS”
Inspired by Guest Editor Claudia Murg, this was the first week I actually compiled a checklist of things to do and it helped immensely. This story was sourced from hants.gov.uk as a press release. I couldn’t see the piece as an actual package but I thought it would work better as an OOV. I contacted the campus police for a possible interview; they never got back to me however. I also emailed a local councillor who recently became involved in a Road Safety Campaign. No response. I went out filming modes of public transport, including Winchester Rail Station (in which you have to ask permission) ready to edit. The piece almost made it to the bulletin, but was unfortunately cut for time. I think this was the first time I became confident in my ability to report News, however, I missed being creative.

Overall, I have struggled with News. It’s been a valuable learning curve, though at times I have questioned my position on the course. The start of the second semester will see me move into Features. I have already written a piece on Dip Dye for Fashion and over the Christmas holidays I will consider my potential role in the team.

1,304 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment