Search This Blog

Friday 24 May 2013

CRITICAL REFLECTION #2

Though renowned for its hard news approach, WINOL Features has triumphed over the past year, with individual magazines being set up, as opposed to having a generalised Features section, to accommodate the needs of a less specific target audience and improving the navigation of the site as a whole. From News to Reviews, the start of the semester sparked statistics that overtook the likes of Daily Echo #54,081 in GB Rank and HampshireChronicle #27,772, with WINOL standing at a comfortable #15,260 [06.02.2013] , with the increase of #12,025 within the next couple of months.[27.03.2013][1].




















"People come for the News and stay for the Features."

After I struggled last semester during my brief stint as part of the News Team, I was assigned to the Features Team as the Editor of WINOL Travel and Adventure, which, needless to say, was a daunting task. 

I knew I’d be somewhat better suited to Features as over Christmas I had compiled various contributions to a couple of the magazines, such as an interview with Fashion Designer Siv Stoldal for Absolute:ly and a philosophical review on the Freud Museum for NewWinchesterReview (NWR). But to actually lead a magazine meant I had to majorly improve on my organisational and timekeeping skills, which I believe were my downfall last semester. My subconscious just kept telling me; “How am I going to do this? I can barely organise myself, let alone a whole team.” 

Regardless, I accepted the challenge and believe I performed adequately within the role. Granted there were things I could have improved, such as working more closely with the Web Editor to enhance the navigation of the site. And I think the “Fly a Plane” (Flying Lessons) feature would have made some superb content, on par to the “Go Ape” piece. My initial aim was to include a feature similar to that every month. It does, however, involve a lot of careful planning, especially since we’d get no funding, therefore, it never became my priority. I was definitely keener to get some written pieces onto the site, updated weekly to help maintain the readership, but as I discovered, this became a tad unrealistic on top of all other responsibilities.

Within a month, I was able to successfully organise the relaunch of the magazine, complete with redesign and an updated template that now features tons of new content. I also set up and managed the separate Twitter account @AdventureWINOL to help improve circulation.



Having to attend features meetings every week helped me to expand on my initial thoughts and ideas for the magazine. With the first couple of weeks mainly consisting of getting the magazine up and running (as it has little to no new content), we agreed that the absolute deadline for relaunch would be 1st March, with new content being uploaded at the start of every month.

In order for the site to work effectively during redesign, I had to work closely with the Web Editor throughout the term. I had been working on an ad for my written piece on the portal and had already started tweeting about up and coming content, even getting a mention from @Jack_Courtez from London’s “What’s Up What’s On” magazine. 

In terms of promotion, I was requested for an interview on Sound Radio (university radio station, which I regret not recording) and was set the task of creating a short features package that would be included in the weekly News Bulletin.

I was already a tad anxious about commissioning people to write for the magazine as I am in no way a natural leader. I learned my lesson and there was no way I was going to leave it until the last minute to collect content. I was very keen to have it all completed and transferred to a hardrive at least two weeks before the deadline.

We already had some great features lined up, including a feature length package on “Go Ape”, a written piece on student “Gap Year Memories”, as well as Exclusive Test Drives contributed by a combined Media student. I was in charge of the written feature and although I had five potential contributors, I was still a little anxious about the prospect of meeting/contacting new people. I discovered, however, that it was a great way to build new contacts within the industry, some of which I am thinking of inviting to contribute to the magazine next semester if I stay on as Editor. 

When it came to uploading, some of the original content had to be taken down due to potential copyright issues, therefore, I made sure to sub edit every article before it was submitted. This included searching for visually appealing images under Creative Commons License and editing them in Adobe Fireworks so they were suitable for the slider.

By week six, we were up and filming “Go Ape” at Moors Valley Country Park. This was a great experience going out and filming first hand. Also, it gave me a chance to get creative. The idea for this package was solely organised by one of the first years and a couple of us tagged along to help film. We got a variety of different shots from various angles, in particular the stunning visuals from our first experiment with the Go Pro (below), along with two other individual cameras at ground level (we were unable to film from above due to health and safety issues).




















We came away with approximately four hours of good quality footage, so admittedly the first edit was a little too long. I’d also forgotten the non-linear “Drop Intro” (Tarzan Swing) at the start of the piece that intended to immediately grab the audience’s attention; the main criticism being that the piece was too chronological. When re-editing, I also remembered to match the music to the pictures (‘stings’). So far, I believe this to be one of the most successful pieces of content for the magazine, picking up approximately 100 views in less than a week.

As part of the Production Team for the WINOL Budget Special, I was volunteered to book the guests. This was crucial as it meant the bulletin would be legally safe and balanced. Baring in mind I had little knowledge of Politics and the Economy; I was tempted to pass the role to someone else. Instead, I accepted the challenge and managed to get the contact details of a Labour Party Member from one of the News Team. 

With less than a couple of days to turn it around, I am pretty proud of this achievement. I managed to successfully mind and brief the guest, feeding back to the scriptwriter and presenter. As this was a pretty important role, I made sure to do my research. Even though it went well, it was a reminder that I am still not fully prepared for the fast paced News environment. I find in Features, the deadlines are slightly more flexible; there is a lot less pressure and that suits me just fine.

The remainder of my time on a Wednesday was taken up as part of the Production Team, alternating between roles such as camera, VT, directing and sound. Although it could be somewhat demanding on top of all my other responsibilities, I can’t help but feel this hands on/practical approach will be valuable experience to have in future.



Next semester I would like to continue my role as Editor, working on the navigation of the site (including a play and pause button on packages), as well as uploading written content/photojournalism pieces weekly. I would also like to include a link to the magazine’s Twitter account on the written site (updated every weekend to boost viewing figures) and perhaps getting other University students to contribute on a national scale, much like that of UK Today.

1,308 words.



[1] www.hazny182.blogspot.co.uk [accessed 24.05.2013]

No comments:

Post a Comment