Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 March 2013

GAP YEAR MEMORIES.

Written for WINOL's Travel and Adventure Magazine. Issue Feb/March 2013. Published article can be found HERE.

Find the plan below.

Caption

GAP YEAR MEMORIES: An exclusive look at student holiday snaps.



[Mini slideshow of images (with captions) + written story (below)]


As a student, it's always appealing to trek into the world of Travel and Adventure. Here we look at some of their best (and worst) experiences.


ALEX DELANEY

[Snapshot Slider]

“I started my gap year off with a week in New York City. I'd been to the Big Apple before, but was still overwhelmed by the size of EVERYTHING. At the end of the first week, my friend John and I met with the other guys in our trek group. We then spent the next couple of weeks driving across the USA in a van with 11 really fantastic people. By the end we were like a little alcoholic family. Those guys were a huge part of what made the trip so great. The trek finished in Los Angeles, and from there John and I went to the fantastically chilled city of San Francisco where we stayed for a few days, before returning to LA, relaxing at a surf hostel on Hermosa Beach. Witnessing the incredible, and diverse, natural beauty of the USA was unforgettable, but it wouldn't have been anywhere near as good without the company I had.”


BEA MARQUES

[Snapshot Slider]

“With a dream to travel the world and experience different cultures, my boyfriend and I ventured into Eastern Europe for 21 days this summer. Living off a backpack with clothes for five days, travelling by train and sleeping at hostels, I gained a whole new insight into travelling. These were the best 21 days of my life, where I experienced something wholly new. We met the most interesting people – from Canadians to Malaysians – each with unique travelling experiences. We dined at the most diverse restaurants, tasting the wonders of Bosnian meat dishes to the delicious pizzas in Slovenia. In the mist of every single of these beautiful moments, our eyes were taken by the fascinating and unique sights that we travelled by, from the Alps in Austria to the natural wonder of Plitvice Lakes in Croatia.”


YASMIN NOVIS

[Snapshot Slider]

“It was summer 2011, when my housemates and I (four girls) decided to embark on an exciting adventure of touring Europe via Inter-rail. Costing us just over £300 to travel the breadth and depth of Europe, what a bargain! I set of with my backpack, stuffed (with) anti-septic cream, anti-bacterial gel, travel wash, draw string bag (life saver!) and a pac-a-mac (clubbing in eastern Berlin will never be the same!). First stop Amsterdam. Staying in the Van Gough hostel; a treat compared to the other hostels we discovered later.

Step One: Find a cheap bar or pub as soon as we get there and sit down with our map.
Step Two: Find the free student tours around the city.
Step Three: Find the best deal and most cultured food place in the city.
Step Four: Convince the girls to do the museums and suggest after that we can go for cocktails!
Step Five: Return to hostel, get ready for a night of partying and pack rucksacks for next day.
Step Six: Find the bar crawl and party all night long!

Having done a lot of planning beforehand we knew exactly where we were going to save on valuable touring and beer drinking time!! Next stop was Berlin, one of my favourite places. Visiting the wall was emotional and standing where Hitler’s bunker was buried… very creepy!  The bar crawl in the night was made even more fun by the torrential rain (never let the weather stop you!); drinking from plastic cups underneath the graffiti covered arches by the railway. I never had so much fun!”


EMILY OSBOURNE.

[Snapshot Slider]

“I went away to Australia with the hope of forgetting about my current life and everyday stresses back home. For this reason I decided to go away by myself as a solo traveller. When I was over there I decided to say yes to anything and everything; to not have any regrets and experience all I could. I skydived, zip wired through the rainforest, became a qualified diver and learned to surf. The hardest thing about travelling (is) saying goodbye to the people you meet. You can be with a person for a matter of two short days but in this time you will feel like you've known them for years. You share the same interests and the majority of people out there have a bucket list similar to yours and are in the same mind-set.”


HOLLIE SNOWDON

[Snapshot Slider]

“Despite being incredibly daunted by the thought of exploring new countries on the other side of the world (by myself), my strong desire to travel and discover new places allowed me to overcome my fears. During my trip to Hong Kong, New Zealand, Australia and Los Angeles, I forced myself to take part in a number of activities such as sky diving that I would never have dreamed of doing before coming away. Travelling allowed me to interact with an enormous range of people, become hugely independent and experiencing fascinating new cultures. I am now even more eager to continue travelling as there is so much of the world left to explore!”


No comments:

Post a Comment